We celebrate the first Friday of Lent with a simple meal. Our meal was not fancy, just enough protein, grain and vitamins for fasting. I like simple cooking, easy meal plan, and uncomplicated baking.
I made a batch of these Red Lobster Style Cheddar Cheese Biscuits, and you can find the recipe online too. I made some adjustments to cut down the salt content for health reasons.
Gather Ingredients For Dough
- 2 cups Bisquick biscuit mix
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 melted tablespoons butter, prefer low sodium
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 cup melted butter, prefer low sodium
- 1/4 teaspoon dried parsley or chive
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
Making the Biscuits
- Preheat oven to 400 degree.
- Mix biscuit mix, milk, butter/margarine and cheddar cheese thoroughly until soft dough forms
- Drop dough by using two spoons onto ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 8 minutes, then take them out to brush on the butter mixture below, and bake for another 2 minutes or until golden brown.
While the biscuits were in the oven, I boiled up four eggs. Then I slice them into six pieces, and top them over my Spring Mix salad.
Before serving the salad, I sprinkled on top some cranraisins, and light Italian dressing. That was our dinner for last Friday, and maybe a few more to come.
- I bought a bag of ready mixed organic salad for about $2.50 to feed three, which was a steal
- Substitute parsley, or chive for the herbs of your liking such as rosemary, or basil
- Make sure your margarine or butter contains low sodium or the biscuits will turn out too salty to eat since the cheddar cheese is a bit on the salty side already
- Healthy meal and very affordable
Thanks for being here!